A new Alberta Opportunity stream is open for individuals seeking a nomination under the Alberta Advantage Immigration Program (AAIP).

The Alberta Opportunity stream provides temporary foreign workers in Alberta, who meet criteria on their language skills, academic history, and duration of employment with a gateway to permanent residence.

As a ‘base’ stream under the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP), applications will be processed outside of the Express Entry selection system. Alberta has a dedicated AAIP Express Entry stream, through which it can nominate candidates in the federal Express Entry pool.

All candidates for the AAIP Opportunity stream must apply through the AAIP Online Portal. Alberta began receiving applications under this stream as of June, 2018. The stream replaced the now-closed Employer-Driven stream and the Strategic Recruitment stream.

Alberta Opportunity Stream selection criteria

Eligibility is based on an applicant meeting all of the below criteria. Only then may they apply to the AAIP through the Alberta Opportunity stream.

1. Occupation requirements for the Alberta Opportunity Stream

Applicants must be employed in an eligible occupation, when your application is postmarked, and when the AAIP assesses the application. The AAIP will still check whether candidates are being paid the provincial minimum wage and whether they’re being paid the minimum wage for their occupation, set out in their Labour Market Impact Assessment or on Alberta’s Alis website.

Most jobs with a National Occupational Classification (NOC) level of 0, A, B, C, or D are considered eligible. View the table below to see exceptions.

Alberta Opportunity Stream ineligible occupations

NOC Code (2016)NOC Skill LevelOccupation
04220School principals and administrators of elementary and secondary education
04230Managers in social, community and correctional services
04320Fire chiefs and senior firefighting officers
0651*0Escort agency managers, massage parlour managers
4031ASecondary school teachers
4032AElementary school and kindergarten teachers
4154AProfessional occupations in religion
5121AAuthors and writers
5133AMusicians and singers
5135AActors and comedians
5136APainters, sculptors and other visual artists
1227BCourt officers and justices of the peace
3223*BDental laboratory assistants/bench workers
4214*BEarly childhood educators who do not have certification through Alberta Children's Services – Child Care Staff Certification Office or who have been certified as child development assistant (formerly Level 1)
4216BOther instructors
4217BOther religious occupations
5232BOther performers, not elsewhere classified
5244BArtisans and craftspersons
6232BReal estate agents and salespersons
4411CHome child care providers
4412CHome support workers, housekeepers and related occupations
4413CElementary and secondary school teacher assistants
6533CCasino occupations
6564COther personal service occupations
7513CTaxi and limousine drivers and chauffeurs
8442CTrappers and hunters
6623DOther sales related occupations
6722DOperators and attendants in amusement, recreation and sport
6742DOther service support occupations, not elsewhere classified
8611DHarvesting labourers
8612DLandscaping and grounds maintenance labourers
8613DAquaculture and marine harvest labourers
8614DMine labourers
*This National Occupation Classification (NOC) code consists of both eligible occupations and ineligible occupations. The ‘Occupation’ column specifies which occupations are ineligible for each NOC Code listed.

2. Residency status and work permit requirements

These conditions must be met at both the time your application is postmarked, and when the AAIP assesses it.

  • You must be in Canada on a valid temporary foreign worker status. Refugees, temporary residents living or working outside of Alberta, and foreign nationals without valid temporary status, are not eligible.
  • You must have a valid work permit – not implied status, or restoration status. This can be based on a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), or participants of temporary work permit programs like International Experience Canada.

3. Language requirements

Applicants must be able to demonstrate ability in English and/or French, as determined by a formal language assessment (CELPIP, IELTS, or TEF). The test must be less than two years old when your application is postmarked.

For applicants working at NOC Skill Level 0, A, or B: A minimum score equivalent to Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) is required 5 in each skill. These requirements are lower than other popular immigration programs, such as the Federal Skilled Worker Class (FSWC).

For applicants working at NOC Skill Level C* or D: A minimum score equivalent to Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) is required 4 in each skill.

*Please note that If you apply to the AAIP under NOC code 3413 (Nurse aides, orderlies and patient service associates), the AAIP requires a minimum language test score of CLB of 7 for each language skill.

Continued below…

Get your questions answered by an expert

Speak with a regulated immigration consultant to help plan your move.

4. Educational requirements

Applicants must have completed high school or a higher level of education.

Foreign credentials can be assessed through an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) firm recognized by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).  These firms are:

  • Comparative Education Service – University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies
  • International Credential Assessment Service of Canada
  • World Education Services
  • International Qualifications Assessment Service
  • International Credential Evaluation Service
  • Medical Council of Canada (for doctors)
  • Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada (for pharmacists)

Canadian credentials from a recognized institution do not need an ECA.

In certain instances, applicants with work experience that qualifies them in a compulsory or optional trade, and who also have a recognized valid Alberta Qualification Certificate or trade certificate, may not have to obtain an ECA, even if they did not study in Canada.

5. Work experience requirements

Applicants must have either:

  • At least 12 months full-time work experience in their current occupation in Alberta within the last 18 months, or
  • At least 24 months of full-time work experience in their current occupation in Canada and/or abroad within the last 30 months. This work experience can be a combination of experience gained in Alberta, in another Canadian province or territory and/or abroad.

Note that the work must have been full-time. Part-time work will not meet eligibility requirements.

Get help with your application

Do you need assistance in preparing an application for Canadian permanent residence? If so, view our Book an Immigration Consultant page to see Moving2Canada’s list of recommended, accredited representatives who can assist you in your goals.

Need the latest immigration info?

Create a Moving2Canada account to get immigration updates to your inbox, and a copy of our FREE Getting Started Guide magazine!

Do you have health insurance for Canada?

Many newcomers are not eligible for Canadian healthcare coverage when they first arrive.

Our partner, Cigna, offers newcomers a range of comprehensive health insurance policies for peace of mind. Explore your options with a free quote today!