Skip to content


Canada is friendly to remote workers! If you want to become a digital nomad in Canada, you do not need a work permit.

As of June 2023, Canada has declared that digital nomads working for a foreign company can work in the country for up to six months, and enter via the same process that they would if they were a tourist.

Officials at Canada’s immigration department, Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) are currently collaborating with stakeholders on whether more policies to attract digital nomads would be desirable. In fact, the government website even says some digital nomads who enter Canada may decide to seek opportunities with Canadian employers.

In that case though, you would need a Canadian work permit, or have received permanent residency status in order to continue working in Canada. But, since a lot of remote work is in STEM occupations, chances are good that there are facilitated options for you under Canada’s Tech Talent Strategy.

In this article, we’ll show you how to figure out what you need to travel to Canada as a digital nomad, and help you find the perfect destination for your stay.

Are you a digital nomad?

A digital nomad is a person who can perform their job remotely from anywhere in the world. You can be either employed by a company outside of Canada or self-employed with your business entity located in a country outside of Canada.

If you have worked remotely for a Canadian country and you want to come to Canada to work, the digital nomad permit may not apply. In this case, you should consider whether the International Mobility Program for Intra-company transferees applies – or consider getting an LMIA.

How to travel to Canada as a digital nomad

You can enter Canada as a visitor and work remotely as a digital nomad for up to six months.

The first thing you need to do is determine what travel authorization you need to enter Canada as a visitor. The requirements differ depending on which country you are from.

If you are a U.S. citizen or a lawful permanent residents of the U.S., you are exempt from the requirement for a visitor visa or an electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). You will need to present Canadian border services with your passport and your green card if you have one. Check the Canadian government website for more info.

For other countries, you will need either a visitor visa, or if you’re from a visa-exempt country you’ll need an electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Find out if you are from a visa-exempt country by searching the table in the dropdown menu below.

Please note: You will have to satisfy the border officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your authorized stay.

Find out if your country is visa-exempt

Apply for an eTA to Canada

You can apply for an eTA online. It costs CAD$7 and may be available in a matter of minutes. Sometimes, the authorization does not come through for a couple of days, so it is a good idea to apply ahead of time.

Apply for a visitor visa to Canada

A visitor visa is more formally known as a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV). To determine how to apply for a TRV from your country, visit the Canadian government website.

Where to stay as a digital nomad in Canada?

Canada is the second largest country in the world. How do you even begin to choose where to spend your time?

Of course, it depends what you want to get out of your time in Canada, as well as your personal taste in travel activities. Do you hear the call of the wilderness or are you a city person at heart? Is this a money-saving trip or you don’t mind paying more for accommodations? Are you staying in one place or would you like to travel around? Et cetera, et cetera.

To get started on choosing a place to stay in Canada, check out Moving2Canada’s Destination Guides. We’ve created videos and online resources to help you learn more about Canadian cities, and choose the place that’s truly right for you.

Check out the destination guides we’ve made for Canada’s four major cities:

If you would like to learn more, be sure to check out our other pages that talk about Canada’s provinces and territories, and other hidden gems across the country.

Those of you who are already thinking about moving to Canada permanently can take our Canadian Immigration Quiz to see which economic immigration programs you may be eligible for. Otherwise, keep scrolling to learn more about getting Canadian permanent residence.

Related resources:

A map of the Canadian provinces of territories to choose where you want to stay as a digital nomad in Canada.

How to immigrate to Canada as a digital nomad

Canada’s main immigration pathway is Express Entry, which is the name for the online system that manages applications for three skilled worker programs: the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSW), the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) and the Federal Skilled Trades Program (FST). It also manages applications for some Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs).

Check your eligibility for Express Entry and other Canadian immigration programs by signing up for a free Moving2Canada account. You’ll also get access to a personalized checklist that will support you on your trip to Canada, exclusive content and offers from our trusted partners, as well as access to our newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest Canadian immigration news.

If you’re not quite ready to apply for permanent residency, check out the work permit options that may be available to you. In addition to those under the Tech Talent Strategy, digital nomads from an eligible country may also be able to get an International Experience Canada (IEC) work permit. These are just a few of the many work permit options available to foreigners who want to work in Canada.

If you are looking for a job in Canada, check out our many resources for job seekers, and take a look at the opportunities listed on our job board.

Whatever your reason for wanting to explore Canada, we hope you find what you’re looking for.

About the author

Rebecca Major profile picture
RCIC logo

Rebecca Major

Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
Rebecca Major is a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (R511564) with nearly 15 years of licenced Canadian Immigration experience, gained after graduating with a Bachelor of Laws in the UK. She specializes in Canadian immigration at Moving2Canada.
Read more about Rebecca Major
Citation "Digital Nomad in Canada." Moving2Canada. . Copy for Citation