Skip to content

A work permit allows foreign nationals to work in Canada temporarily. There are many different types of work permits. Find out your options here.

The most popular work permit options

International Experience Canada (IEC)

IEC allows youth aged 18-35 from participating countries to work in Canada temporarily.

The Working Holiday program

The Working Holiday program is the most popular IEC program. It provides an open work permit, allowing participants to change employers and locations freely.

Labour Market Impact Assessments (LMIAs)

An LMIA is a document obtained by a Canadian employer that allows them to hire a foreign worker. Learn how the LMIA process works here.

International Mobility Program (IMP)

The IMP is a suite of work permit programs that do not require an LMIA. If you qualify for an IMP program, it can be a great work permit option.

Global Talent Stream

Highly skilled workers from around the world can get a work permit in only two weeks through the Global Talent Stream.

Intra-Company Transfers

Do you work for a multinational company that has an office in Canada? They may be able to transfer you to a Canadian location through the Intra-Company Transfer program.

Post-Graduation Work Permits (PGWPs)

Are you studying in Canada as an international student? If so, you may qualify for a post-graduation work permit that allows you to work in Canada after graduating.

Bridging Open Work Permit

A Bridging Open Work Permit allows applicants for permanent residence to continue working in Canada while their PR applications are processing.

Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP)

The TFWP is a suite of work permit programs, all requiring a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).


Latest Updates

Citation "Work Permits." Moving2Canada. . Copy for Citation