Skip to content


Ready for an adventure in Canada? Before you get too caught up in making plans for ski trips and weekends at the lake, make sure that you know what documents you need to submit with your International Experience Canada application. On this page we’ll go over the documents that are usually requested, but pay attention to your IRCC online account when you submit, as immigration officers sometimes request more information. 

The 2024 IEC season is open as of December 11, 2023. The first invitation rounds have taken place during the week of January 8, 2024. Check if you’re eligible for IEC by taking our free Canadian Immigration Quiz.


In this article we’re only covering the documents you need for IEC. Not sure if you’re eligible for IEC? Start off by brushing up on the IEC programs and requirements.

Online application form

The entire IEC application process is done using an online application system designed by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). You have to begin by creating an account with IRCC. Then you can build your IEC profile and submit yourself to be considered for the IEC pools for which you’re eligible. Finally, if you receive an invitation, you must then complete and submit your application for a work permit.

All of this is done online.

You will only be asked to upload documents once you reach the stage of the application where you are applying for a work permit. But! You can still plan ahead. Take a look at the documents listed below to determine which ones you can start gathering ahead of time.

Documents for work permit application submission

You will only be asked to upload documents once you reach the stage of the application where you are applying for a work permit. But! You can still plan ahead. Take a look at the documents listed below to determine which ones you can start gathering ahead of time.

Police Certificates

You’ll likely need to provide police certificates for countries in which you’ve spent six or more months in a row since you turned 18 years old. When processing your application, an officer might ask you for more police certificates.

If you cannot get your police certificates before your application deadline, then you can upload proof you’ve applied for one. Check out our complete guide on IEC police certificates for full details.


You’ll need to provide a copy of your curriculum vitae (CV) or resume. This is a document describing your education, qualifications, and work experience.

Note that this particular document, at this stage, has no bearing on getting you a job in Canada. You can upload a basic resume here. (But later, when you’re actually looking for work in Canada, it’s crucial to have a great resume.We have a guide on how to write a resume, plus you can access a free resume template in your Moving2Canada account.)


You must provide a clear, readable copy of your passport, and the country of citizenship indicated on your passport must be the same as the country whose IEC pool you are applying through.

Your passport must be valid at the time you submit your application and must remain valid when you enter and depart from Canada.

Your IEC work permit will not be issued for a period longer than the validity of your passport, so if your expiry date is occuring in the near future, you may want to consider renewing your passport before you apply.

Digital photo

You have to upload a digital photo of yourself.

The photo must show the full front view of your head and tops of shoulders with your face in the middle of the photo. The final photo frame size must be at least 35mm x 45mm and the size of your head must be between 31mm and 36mm. In pixels, the dimensions must be at least 420 x 540.

If you scan a photo you already have, it must have a minimum resolution of 600 PPI. The digital photo file format must be either JPEG or JPEG2000. It must have a file size of no less than 60 kB, with an ideal size of 240 kB. Finally, the image must be in colour (24 bits per pixel) in RGB colour space.

Be sure that you check the specs of your digital photo file before uploading. You can do this simply by right-clicking on the file on your desktop computer.

Family Information

With your application you will have to provide a completed “Family Information” form, also called the IMM 5707 form. This form requests information about your spouse or common-law partner, parents, and children.

Program-specific Documents

You may be required to submit the following documents if you are applying through a specific program or organization.

International Co-op applicants

Applicants using Recognized Organizations

Volontariat International en Entreprise (VIE) applicants

Proof of residency

In some cases you may be asked to provide a proof of residency from your country of citizenship. This can be a residential or mailing address.

Italian citizens are required to provide a residential certificate (certificato di residenza) proving they live in Italy. Make sure you provide a certified English or French translation.

After you submit your application, be sure to check your account regularly, as sometimes IRCC may contact you to request additional information. If IRCC requests additional documents, consult our guide on how to upload documents to your IEC application after submitting.

Documents after application submission

Certain documents will only be requested after you have already submitted your application, and some documents will only be requested when you land in Canada to activate your work permit.

Read more on how to add documents to your IEC application after submitting it.


Biometrics refers to your fingerprints and photo, both submitted electronically. These are required for most applicants, but they are usually only requested after you’ve submitted your application.

After you pay your fees and submit your application, check your account regularly, as you will likely receive a Biometric Instruction Letter (BIL) within 24 hours. You will have 30 days to follow the instructions on that letter and provide your biometrics.

Port of Entry Letter

If your work permit application is approved, you will receive your Port of Entry (POE) Letter of Introduction. You must bring this letter with you to Canada and show it to the immigration officer when you land.

Visitor Visa or Electronic Travel Authorization

If your work permit application is approved, you should receive either a visitor visa or an electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) with your POE letter.

To travel to Canada you need the proper authorization. Citizens of some countries require a visitor visa in order to travel to Canada. Citizens of visa-exempt countries require an eTA if they are travelling to Canada by air (except for citizens of the U.S.).

Thankfully, you should not need to apply for these on your own. The proper travel document should be automatically issued with your POE letter.

Proof of financial support

IEC requires that you have at least CAD $2,500 available to help cover your expenses in Canada. As well, you must demonstrate that you have the financial resources to purchase a departure ticket at the end of your stay in Canada (or have proof that you have already purchased a departure ticket).

You must have your proof of financial support when you travel to Canada, as the immigration officer who completes your landing will likely request it. A statement of your bank account issued no more than one week prior to your departure for Canada will suffice.

Health insurance

You do not need health insurance in order to apply, but you will definitely need it when you land in Canada. You must have health insurance that covers the entire time you want to stay in Canada.

An immigration officer will request proof of health insurance when you land in Canada and will not issue your work permit for a duration longer than the validity of your health insurance. For example, if you only purchase health insurance for the first six months of your stay in Canada, your work permit will only be issued for those six months. You cannot extend your work permit by purchasing more health insurance at a later date.

It is strongly recommended that you do not purchase health insurance until after you receive your POE letter of introduction.

Your health insurance must cover medical care, hospitalization, and repatriation.

If you want to find the most affordable and comprehensive IEC health insurance coverage, we recommend checking out BestQuote Travel Insurance. BestQuote allows you to compare insurance rates for different providers so you can find the best one for your needs — get started with a free quote here.

Need help with your IEC application?

Not sure you have the right document? Have a question about your IEC work permit application that we didn’t answer here? Check out the Moving2Canada IEC Facebook Group. You can connect with others who have already gone through the application process, ask your questions, and get tons of insider knowledge about how to make the most of your IEC adventure.

If you feel you need professional guidance for your application, we suggest booking a consultation with one of our recommended Canadian immigration consultants. Book a consultation here.

About the author

Rebecca Major profile picture
RCIC logo

Rebecca Major

Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
Rebecca Major is a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (R511564) with nearly 15 years of licenced Canadian Immigration experience, gained after graduating with a Bachelor of Laws in the UK. She specializes in Canadian immigration at Moving2Canada.
Read more about Rebecca Major
Citation "What documents do you need for your IEC work permit application?." Moving2Canada. . Copy for Citation