Skip to content


Rate article
1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars
5.00/5 - 4 votes
Share article

Immigration to Canada can be achieved through a wide range of programs. If you're not yet sure how to select the right Canadian immigration program for you, you're in the right place.

This section will help you answer the question: How do I immigrate to Canada?

Our immigration to Canada section has three main categories of programs for you to consider:

  • Permanent ResidenceLong-term immigration programs, including economic programs (inclusive of Express Entry) and family sponsorship.
  • Work PermitsPrograms which allow you to work in Canada for a limited period.
  • Study PermitsPermission to study at approved institutions, with the possibility to work during and after your studies and options to transition to permanent residence.

From the options below, click on the most applicable situation to find out which option(s) for moving to Canada may be available to you and your family, if applicable. If more than one of the situations listed above applies to you, we encourage you to begin your research with whichever situation is listed first. However, make sure to review the other potential option(s) as well.

If none of the situations listed apply to you, don’t lose heart – you may still be eligible for immigration to Canada. Check through the range of options outlined below to find out which pathway may be right for you, and use the government of Canada’s Come to Canada Wizard to check your eligibility.

How to immigrate as a worker

Take a look at this video to understand the main options for immigrating to Canada as a worker:

Economic immigration to Canada

Express Entry

Express Entry overview

Canadian Experience Class

Learn more about the Canadian Experience Class

Federal Skilled Worker Program

Learn more about the Federal Skilled Worker Program

Federal Skilled Trades Program

Learn more about the Federal Skilled Trades Program

Provincial Nominee Programs

Learn more about the Provincial Nominee Programs

Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program

Learn more about the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program


Immigration to Quebec

Immigration to Quebec


Quebec Immigrant Investor Program

Learn more about the Quebec Immigrant Investor Program

Quebec Entrepreneur Program

Learn more about the Quebec Entrepreneur Program


Quebec Self-Employed Program

Learn more about the Quebec Self-Employed Program


Entrepreneur Start-up Visa

Learn more about the Entrepreneur Start-up Program

Family Class immigration to Canada

Spousal/Common-Law sponsorship

Learn more about spousal / common-law sponsorship

Parent and Grandparent Program

Learn more about the Parent and Grandparent Program

Sponsorship of dependent child(ren)

Learn more about sponsorship of dependent children


Refugee and humanitarian resettlement programs

Learn more about Canada's refugee and humanitarian programs


Temporary work permits

International Experience Canada (IEC)

Learn more about the International Experience Canada (IEC) program


Intra-Company Transfer

Learn more about intra-company transfers

Free Trade Agreements

Learn more about Free Trade Agreements

Temporary Foreign Worker Program (Labour Market Impact Assessment)

Learn more about the TFWP / Labour Market Impact Assessments


Work permits for spouses and partners of foreign workers and students

Learn more about open work permits for spouses and partners of foreign workers and students


Study in Canada

Learn more about studying in Canada

I’m ready for immigration to Canada. What do I do when I have my work permit or permanent resident status?

Looking for jobs

Since 2011, through our Outpost Recruitment agency we’ve specialized in finding work for construction and engineering professionals, with companies across Canada who value foreign work experience.

When you have your permission to work in Canada secured, get in touch. We can explore your opportunities when you complete your immigration to Canada.

Consider your health needs

New permanent residents in Canada may need an insurance policy to cover the period immediately upon obtaining permanent status, before their public coverage is granted

In addition, certain temporary programs — such as the IEC program and study permit program — require applicants to obtain an insurance policy.

Expatriate health insurance ensures access to the best possible healthcare while living and working abroad. Cigna Global is a leader in these policies and provides 12-month cover for those moving to Canada, regardless of nationality or age.

Click here to get a free online quote, which should take less than 60 seconds to complete.

Get more information

Download Moving2Canada’s Getting Started Guide, a free magazine that can help you settle and plan your immigration to Canada with confidence.

What are GCMS Notes and why should you know

GCMS stands for Global Case Management System, and it’s a database used by IRCC to manage and store information about immigration applications. GCMS notes refer to the detailed notes and records within the system related to an individual’s permanent or temporary residence application. You may be able to request a copy of your GCMS notes from inside Canada, or have a representative request them for you.

These notes typically include details about:

  1. Application status: Updates on the progress of the application, including any requests for additional documentation or interviews.
  2. Correspondence: Records of communication between the immigration authorities and the applicant or their representative.
  3. Decision-making: Information about any decisions made regarding the application, such as approvals, rejections, or delays, along with reasons for those decisions.
  4. Personal information: Details provided by the applicant, such as background information, employment history, education, etc.
  5. Officer’s remarks: Notes made by the immigration officer handling the case, including observations, concerns, or additional information needed for processing the application.

These notes are crucial for applicants and their representatives to understand the status of their application and to address any issues or discrepancies that may arise during the immigration process.

About the author

Rebecca Major profile picture
RCIC logo

Rebecca Major

Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
Rebecca Major is a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (R511564) with nearly 15 years of licenced Canadian Immigration experience, gained after graduating with a Bachelor of Laws in the UK. She specializes in Canadian immigration at Moving2Canada.
Read more about Rebecca Major
Citation "Immigration to Canada — How to make it happen." Moving2Canada. . Copy for Citation