Health care professionals are in huge demand across the province of British Columbia. Accordingly, the BC government has established a portion of the British Columbia Provincial Nominee Program (BC PNP) that is dedicated to helping these professionals immigrate to the province.
The BC Health Authority category is open to any person who has a full-time job offer in any occupation from a public health authority in BC. Additionally, workers with job offers in BC in the following occupations are eligible to apply even if the job offer is not from a public health authority: physicians, nurse practitioners, and midwives.
Skills Immigration Healthcare Authority Category criteria
To qualify for this category, candidates must:
1. have the support of, or a full-time, indeterminate job offer (a permanent job, or one with no set end date) from a public health authority in BC in any occupation, at any skill level. British Columbia has the following health authorities:
- Provincial Health Services Authority
- First Nations Health Authority
- Fraser Health
- Interior Health
- Island Health
- Northern Health
- Vancouver Coastal Health
- Providence Health Care
Alternatively, those with BC job offers in the occupations listed below may apply even if the job offer is not from a public health authority:
- nurse practitioner,
- midwife (must have a letter of confirmation from an established practice group in BC confirming acceptance into the group as an affiliated midwife for a period of at least six months. Must also be registered, or eligible to be registered, with the College of Midwives of British Columbia);
2. for National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill level B, C, and D occupations, meet minimum language requirements. Must have English or French proficiency at or above Canadian Language Benchmark of Level 4;
3. qualify to work in your occupation in BC;
4. have a wage offer in line with BC wage rates for the occupation;
5. show they can support themselves and their dependents; and
6. have, or be eligible for, legal immigration status in Canada.
The BC Health Authority Category does not require an Express Entry profile in order to apply. However, Express Entry candidates may benefit from faster processing by applying through the BC Express Entry Health Authority Category. Learn more here.