Proposed amendments to the Ontario Immigration Act may lead to significant changes to OINP streams.
International graduates with a PhD (Doctorate) obtained in Ontario, Canada may immigrate to Ontario permanently through the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP) International PhD Graduate Stream.
Applicants applying to the OINP International PhD Graduate Stream can apply without a job offer. Moreover, and in a rare exception to the requirements governing most Canadian economic immigration programs, applicants are not required to prove language ability. There is also no requirement to show settlement funds.
Applications made under this stream are processed outside the federal Express Entry immigration system.
Ontario International PhD Graduate Stream Criteria
To be eligible to apply for the International PhD Graduate Stream, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Education: Graduated or have met all degree requirements from a PhD degree program at an eligible publicly-funded university in Ontario and have completed at least two years of study in Ontario.
- Residency in Ontario: Demonstrate you have resided in Ontario for at least one year in the last two years before the application submission date.
- Settlement Funds: A minimum level of savings or income to support you and your family members.
- Intent: Intention to reside and work in Ontario.
- Eligibility Period: Must apply within two years of the date on which the PhD degree was granted (the date that appears on the diploma).
- Legal Status in Canada (if applicable): Must have legal status in Canada (i.e., study permit, work permit, visitor) if currently residing in Canada. Not required if residing outside Canada.
Some other things to note:
- There is an OINP application fee of $1,500.
- Applications are submitted online through the OINP e-Filing Portal.
- Depending on processing capacity, Ontario may temporarily close the International PhD Graduate Stream for new applications.
Get help with your application
Do you need assistance in preparing an application for Canadian permanent residence? If so, view our Book an Immigration Consultant page to see Moving2Canada’s list of recommended, accredited representatives who can assist you in your goals.