How to Improve Your CRS Score | Express Entry | Moving2Canada

Do you have health insurance for Canada?

Many newcomers are not eligible for Canadian healthcare coverage when they first arrive.

Our partner, Cigna, offers newcomers a range of comprehensive health insurance policies for peace of mind. Explore your options with a free quote today!

How to Improve Your CRS Score for Express Entry

Get your Express Entry profile reviewed

Get your Express Entry profile reviewed by Canada Abroad, one of Moving2Canada’s recommended consultants. Canada Abroad empowers you to complete the process on your own.

Looking for exceptional health coverage?

Make sure you're fully protected for life in Canada with an international health insurance plan from Cigna.

FactorSub-factorAdditional informationProof requiredPotential points increase
Sibling in CanadaN/ASibling must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident living in CanadaPassport/PR card; proof of residence in Canada; proof of relation between siblings15 points
EducationObtain an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA)Applicable to CEC and FSTC candidates onlyECA document250 points (Up to 150 for education alone; Up to 100 within skills transferability)
Previous study in Canada (1 or 2-year study program)Must have completed the study programDegree / diploma / certificate15 points
Previous study in Canada, either 3 years or longer in duration / Master's degree / entry-to-practice professional degree / Doctorate.Must have completed the study programDegree / diploma / certificate30 points
LanguageProve a higher first language abilityRe-take a language test and improve your resultsIELTS / CELPIP / TEF / TCF162 points (Up to 112 points for improved results; Up to 50 within skills transferability)
Prove ability in a second official languageFrench speakers obtain additional bonus, as well as points for second languageIELTS / CELPIP / TEF / TCF74 points (Up to 24 for second language ability; 25/50-point bonus for French speakers)
WorkComplete extra skilled work experience outside CanadaAccumulate points under skills transferability in combination with language ability and/or Canadian work experienceSelf-declared (must be proven later by a reference letter)100 points
Complete skilled work experience in CanadaFor every year (up to 5 years), you accumulate points; even 1 year can bring lots of pointsEmployment records; tax documents180 points (80 for Canadian work alone; up to 100 within skills transferability)
Job offerSkilled occupation (NOC 0, A or B)A job offer in a professional, managerial, or technical positionLMIA / job offer letter from current employer in Canada while on a closed work permit (other conditions apply)50 points
Senior Managerial Position (NOC Major Group 00)These positions are generally for highly skilled, experienced candidates in select occupationsLMIA / job offer letter from current employer in Canada while on a closed work permit (other conditions apply)200 points
Provincial nominationN/AProvinces & territories can nominate candidates in the pool through the PNPs - the single most valuable factor under the CRS!Provincial Nomination Certificate600 points
Spouse / Partner factorsEducationThis can be outside or inside CanadaECA / proof of study in Canada10 points
LanguageN/AIELTS / CELPIP / TEF / TCF20 points
Canadian work experienceEven 1 year gives you 5 extra pointsEmployment records; tax documents10 points
Make the spouse / partner the principal applicantDouble-check who would have the higher CRS scoreSubmit a new Express Entry profileVariable

Need the latest immigration info?

Create a Moving2Canada account to get immigration updates to your inbox, and a copy of our FREE Getting Started Guide magazine!

Related content