Working Holiday Visa in Canada

Are you interested in experiencing a working holiday visa in Canada, also known as International Experience Canada, IEC visa or working holiday Canada? This section will provide you with an overview of all the relevant steps required steps for this type of immigration to Canada, which allows you to get a job in Canada for either 12 or 24 months. Please read the information and associated links carefully. Errors in the application process can be costly and delay your immigration to Canada.

Take a minute to join our network and we will send you a comprehensive IEC Visa FAQ article that we have researched for you.


2015 Update. The UK and Irish visas will not be available prior to January. No date has been announced yet but they will not be available until early 2015.

Overview of International Experience Canada (IEC)
Apply by Yourself

How to get a working holiday visa in Canada

International Experience Canada (IEC) is a working holiday visa in Canada program. It allows people from many different countries under 35 years of age to work in Canada for a temporary period. For many countries, you can get two back-to-back one year periods. As of 2013, citizens of Ireland are able to apply for a two-year IEC visa. Consult this list of participating countries to see if your country of origin has an agreement for the working holiday visa in Canada, and click on the country or territory name. You will be re-directed to the Canadian embassy webpage of your country or territory, where you will be able to find details on the specific program.

Apply by Yourself

You can obtain a working holiday visa in Canada through the International Experience Canada (IEC) program. Apply directly to the Embassy of Canada so you don’t need to pay any fees to agents for vague additional services. For more information, see the links below. The regional IEC websites below also offer FAQ sections where all of your potential questions on applying for a working holiday visa will be answered.

International Experience Canada (IEC) website

There is also a step-by-step guide for applying for your working holiday visa in Canada. Please read carefully as it will save you time. Ensure you have a friend double-check everything because making mistakes can cost you a few months or result in rejection.
Step by Step Guide UK
Step by Step Guide Ireland

Instruction for Police Certs
Police Cert for Ireland
Police Cert for UK

The following is a general overview of the IEC visa process to achieve your working holiday Canada visa:


International Experience Canada (IEC) section: Evaluation of Application and Declarations Form
1. The IEC section will review your application package to verify that you are eligible to participate, and that all of the required documentation has been provided. Once you have provided all of the requisite information, evaluation of your application should take approximately eight weeks.
2. If your application passes the first phase of the evaluation, the IEC section will send you an e-mail letting you know that your application package has been received and forwarded to the Visa and Immigration section for the second phase of the evaluation — evaluation of the Work Permit Application Form.


Visas and Immigration section: Work Permit Assessment
If your application has been transferred to the Visa and Immigration section for the second phase, your working holiday Canada application will be evaluated as per Canadian immigration law and regulations. Once the Visa and Immigration section receives your application, a separate work permit file is created under your name and a work permit assessment is conducted.


Sign up for our newsletter to gain access to our IEC FAQ article and for the latest updates on the new IEC programs for 2013. We’ve gathered, researched and prepared answered to all of your questions.
Moving2Canada IEC Visa FAQ

Any questions or thoughts? Discuss with others here:
IEC Visa Facebook Group
Experience Canada IEC Visa forum
Global Goose Blog: How to apply for your IEC working holiday visa in Canada

Overview of International Experience Canada (IEC)
Apply by Yourself

Achieving your working holiday visa for Canada is pretty straightforward if you are willing to study the available resources. Please read all the available guidelines and documents. Once you have your application under way you can review our guide for writing a Canadian resume. Our jobs board lists postings for some of the best jobs in Canada today.