Individuals who recently graduated from a degree or diploma study program at a Canadian university or college may apply for a provincial nomination under the International Student category – also known as the International Student with a job offer stream – of the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP).
With a nomination, the applicant may then apply to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for permanent resident status. The spouse/common-law partner of the applicant, as well as any dependent children, may also be included on the application.
- Have graduated from or have met the requirements of a full-time degree or diploma program at an eligible publicly-funded Canadian college or university that is at least two years in length or a one year post-graduate certificate program, which requires a previous degree in order to qualify;
- Have completed at least half of their studies in Canada;
- Apply within two years from the date on which they graduated; and
- Have an approved permanent, full-time job offer in a high-skilled occupation (National Occupational Classification level 0, A or B) that meets the entry-level wage levels in Ontario for that occupation.
Some other things to note:
- The Ontario International Student category is not aligned with the federal Express Entry system. Applications for permanent residence made following a nomination under this stream are processed entirely outside Express Entry.
- The study program does not have to have been located in Ontario; graduates of study programs across Canada may be eligible to apply.
- Having a job offer from an employer in Ontario is required; it is not possible to successfully apply to this stream without a job offer.
- Ontario employers looking to hire under this stream must first submit a Pre-Screen Application to have the position they wish to fill approved by OINP.
- The application fee for international students with a job offer is $1500. This fee can be paid by either the applicant or the employer.
Get help with your application
Do you need assistance in preparing an application for Canadian permanent residence? If so, view our Book an Immigration Consultant page to see Moving2Canada’s list of recommended, accredited representatives who can assist you in your goals.