Foreign workers with a job offer have the opportunity to permanently live and work in Ontario through the Employer Job Offer Stream – Foreign Worker category of the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP).
Potential nominees can only apply if they have received a permanent, full-time job offer from an employer in Ontario, meet all eligibility criteria, and have an Employer Form completed by the prospective employer.
Proposed Changes: 2020
Ontario has proposed minor changes to the Foreign Worker with a Job Offer stream of the OINP. These changes have not yet taken effect, but are expected to come into force in February or March of 2020.
The following amendments to the OINP stream criteria are proposed:
• Introduce limits on the number of applications for approval of an employment position that can be submitted in a calendar year that are proportional to the size of the employer’s workforce, as follows:
1 application per 5 existing permanent and full-time employees (employment position within the GTA)
1 application per 3 existing permanent and full-time employees (employment position outside the GTA)
With a provincial nomination, applicants and their accompanying family members may apply to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for permanent resident status.
The OINP Employer Job Offer Stream – Foreign Worker category is not aligned with the Express Entry immigration selection system. Therefore, individuals who may not necessarily be eligible under Express Entry may yet be eligible under this OINP category.
Foreign worker criteria
To be eligible to apply as a foreign worker, applicants must have a job offer signed by themselves and an Ontario employer that meets the following criteria:
- Is a permanent and full-time job offer in a skilled occupation (National Occupational Classification 0, A or B), and
- Meets the prevailing wage in Ontario for that occupation.
Foreign workers must also:
- Have two years of work experience in the intended occupation in the last five years immediately preceding the date of application submission. The work experience can be cumulative and must be in the same NOC as the intended occupation. OR
- Have the relevant mandatory licensing in Ontario for a regulated occupation. AND
- Hold a valid licence or certification at the time of application submission if the job offer is in an occupation that requires a mandatory licence or certification in Ontario.
- Be residing abroad or residing, working or visiting Canada on a valid work permit, study permit or visitor record.
Minimum Requirements for Employers
In order to be eligible, the employer must:
- Have been in active business for at least three years;
- Have business premises in Ontario where the prospective nominee will work;
- Demonstrate sufficient proof of recruitment efforts if the prospective nominee is currently living abroad, visiting Canada, or working in a province or territory other than Ontario;
- Be in compliance with all provincial labour laws; and
- For employers located inside the Greater Toronto Area (GTA):
- Have a minimum gross revenue for the most recent fiscal year of $1,000,000, and
- Have at least five permanent full-time employees who are Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents at the location where the candidate is to work.
- For employers located outside the Greater Toronto Area (GTA):
- Have a minimum gross revenue for the most recent fiscal year of $500,000, and
- Have at least three permanent full-time employees who are Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents at the location where the candidate is to work.
Minimum Requirements for the job offer
The job offered must meet the following requirements:
- The position must meet be at NOC level 0, A, or B level.
- It must be for a permanent, full-time position (minimum 1,560 hours of paid employment in a 12-month period).
- It must meet prevailing wage rates for the occupation in Ontario.
- It must not affect the settlement of any labour dispute or the employment of any person involved in such a dispute.
- It must not adversely affect employment or training opportunities for Canadian citizens or permanent residents in Ontario.
- The position itself must be necessary for the company’s operations.
The OINP Employer Job Offer Stream – Foreign Worker category does not operate on an Expression of Interest / Invitation to Apply basis. Rather, eligible individuals may apply directly to the program.
Applications are submitted online through Ontario’s unique e-Filing portal. Potential nominees may only register once. When registration is completed, potential nominees have 21 calendar days to complete and submit the application to the OINP. After 21 days, the registration will expire and be withdrawn by the OINP.
Get help with your application
Do you need assistance in preparing an application for Canadian permanent residence? If so, view our Book an Immigration Consultant page to see Moving2Canada’s list of recommended, accredited representatives who can assist you in your goals.