Getting an interview simply means that you have provided yourself a platform to demonstrate your suitability for the role. The hard work starts here. Practice speaking about yourself out loud in front of friends as this will allow you to become comfortable, but most importantly prepare yourself to answer potential interview questions.
Preparing for interview questions: general advice
- Ensure you have researched the company and the role extensively. If you are new to the country, you need to demonstrate an ability to get up to speed quickly.
- Prepare to speak about your motivation for moving to Canada and how long you plan to stay. Do not mention “temporary work permit” or “gap year”. Companies want to hire someone who is focused on building a career with the company. Ensure that you display you are determined to stay in Canada long term by proving yourself worthy to employers.
- Many interviews will begin with the prompt “tell me about yourself”. Prepare a two-minute overview of yourself that takes your interviewers through your resume and displays your suitability for the role in question. Practice this out loud over and over again. First impressions last, so this is a short slot to show your employer how competent you are. Do not use phrases like “as you can see”. Proceed as if they have never seen your resume.
- Write out answers to all potential interview questions and ensure the answers roll off your tongue. Your ability to plan and prepare is being examined, so do your research.
- Sometimes interviewers will ask planned interview questions to test your ability to think on your feet. Listen carefully to each question, always pause to plan your answer and only speak when you know exactly what points you are going to make. Focus on having an introduction, a body, and a summary for each answer.
- Speak slowly. It’s easy to rush when nerves take over, but slowing down will ensure your brain has a chance to work out what to say next. Additionally, it will ensure your answers to interview questions are fully understood.
- Always think before you speak.