Did you know that you can file a Canadian tax return and claim as far back as five years?
The deadline for filing your 2019 Canadian tax return is June 1, 2020. However, you can STILL file your tax return after this date and claim a tax refund.
If you worked in Canada in the last five years, you can claim a tax refund for any of these years, so it’s worth finding out if you overpaid tax at any stage during your time in Canada.
Taxback.com customers get an average Canadian tax refund of $998.
When might I be due a Canadian tax refund? If you…
- Overpaid income tax
- Overpaid in the Canadian Pension Plan
- Overpaid Employer Insurance
Claiming expenses in your Canadian tax return
You could be entitled to claim for certain expenses such as work or medical expenses.
If you earned over the tax free allowance ($12,069 in 2019), then you may be able to claim on the cost of certain expenses such as your weekly/monthly transit passes, and qualifying medical expenses, etc.
Examples of other work expenses include transportation costs, electronic devices, accounting and legal fees.
There are two conditions to qualify:
- Your employment contract requires you to pay these expenses.
- You don’t receive an allowance to pay the costs or if you do receive an allowance, your employer adds it to your total income.
You can claim medical expenses paid for yourself, your spouse or common-law partner and certain related persons.
Generally, subject to the conditions below for other dependents, total eligible medical expenses must first be reduced by 3% of your net income or $2,352, whichever is less.
Getting your tax back
Some of the benefits of using Taxback.com include:
- Paperless, hassle-free application
- Free, no-strings-attached refund estimate
- 24/7 Live Chat service
- Experienced tax accountants
- Updates on your refund status
- Maximum refund guaranteed
- Full check for expenses and overpaid tax from the last 10 years
COVID-19 update: If you had to leave Canada due to the outbreak of COVID-19, you can still file from home! Taxback.com can help you receive any refunds you may be due from your stay in the country.