With more than 40 per cent of Quebecers having Irish ancestry on at least one side of their family tree, the Irish in Montreal remain a vibrant and helpful community. The shamrock even managed to get its way onto the city flag. Here are a few organisations among Montreal’s Irish community, all of which provide invaluable help if you are moving to Montreal.
We have compiled a short list of useful links and contacts for the Irish in Montreal. Other links relevant to the whole of Canada can be found here. Please get in touch with us if you have any suggestions for making this list more comprehensive and useful for Irish people living in Montreal.
Irish in Montreal — Useful links
– The Irish Immigrant Integration Initiative (I.I.I.I.) is a social network for Irish immigrants whose aim to assist the most recent arrivals and those who have come in the last year or two in their efforts to seek out and find employment, settle in and accustom themselves to our Montreal lifestyles and cultures, and to make contacts with the existing Irish community in the city. Although their major focus is on the Montreal area, they also aim to help persons settling elsewhere in the province of Quebec.
– The St. Patrick’s Society of Montreal was founded in 1834 to unite the members of the Irish Canadian community and to promote the charitable, educational, and cultural interests of the community.
– The Ireland-Canada Chamber of Commerce in Montreal has been involved in commercial activity in the city for two decades. Its members are glad to hear from new arrivals.
– The United Irish Societies of Montreal has been putting on the highly successful St Patrick’s parade in Montreal since 1929. They are also dedicated to helping to maintain and build the Irish community and help those in need.
– Information about Montreal Shamrocks GAA club and Montreal Irish Rugby Football Club can be found under the sports and recreation tab. These clubs are cornerstones of the sporting and cultural life of the Irish in Montreal.
If you need to contact the Irish Embassy for any reason (e.g. you lost your passport), be aware that the only Irish Embassy in Montreal is a pub on Bishop Street!
Ottawa, the capital city of Canada, is only a two-hour drive from Montreal.
Embassy of Ireland in Ottawa, Canada, Suite1105, 130 Albert Street, K1P 5G4 Ontario
Additionally, there is a Consulate of Ireland for Montreal.
Honorary Consul General of Ireland, 1455 de Maisonneuve West, GM 903-23, H3G 1M8 Quebec
Phone: (514) 848 2424 (Ext 8711)
Join our Moving2Canada Facebook page to keep up to date.