How do you write a cover letter for Canada? Not sure how to answer this question? Don’t worry, we will provide tips on how to write a focused Canadian cover letter and supply you with cover letter examples.
Being able to write a cover letter for Canada is a must for all professional job applications and is crucial to finding work in the country, so let’s get started.
Write a Canadian cover letter today:
- Always attach a Canadian cover letter that states your relevant skills and reasons why you are right for the role in question. A cover letter in Canada is not all about you. Ensure you spend at least 30 per cent of the document talking about what you know about the company — recent projects, company values, company news. Make the company feel special and they will want to invite you for an interview.
- Do not repeat all the information from your resume. Focus on showing your potential employers why the skills and experience you have would be a fit for the role in question. Many people tend to list their resume in long paragraphs, but this will not suffice. Zero in on discussing how your skills and experience are suitable to meet each of the specified job requirements. It makes sense to address each requirement in turn, then the company know that you understand the requirements and feel that you meet these requirements.
- Do your research on the company and demonstrate this in your cover letter to ensure you make a good first impression.
- Reminder: The two documents — resume and cover letter — need to complement each other, so keep your resume brief and then write a cover letter for Canada to pad around the key skills and attributes that the role demands. Ensure you “tick all the boxes” that are outlined in the job description.
- More Canadian cover letter writing tips: BC Employment – Cover Note
- Resume Format in Canada guide