How do you write a cover letter for Canada? We’re here to provide tips on how to write a focused Canadian cover letter and supply you with cover letter examples.
Being able to write a cover letter for Canada is a must for all professional job applications and is crucial to finding work in the country, so let’s get started.
Write the perfect cover letter for Canada’s job market
One of the most important things to remember when it comes to creating the perfect cover letter for Canada is that there’s a three-pronged approach to success.
First of all, you need to introduce yourself and the job you are applying for.
Secondly, make it patently clear that your skill set matches that requirements listed in the job description.
Finally, articulate the reasons why you would be an ideal candidate for an interview but don’t be too pushy.
OK, so let’s look at these three points in closer detail.
- Always state your relevant skills and reasons why you are right for the role in question as early as possible in your cover letter for Canada. A cover letter in Canada is not all about you. Ensure you spend at least 30 per cent of the document talking about what you know about the company — recent projects, company values, company news. Make the company feel special and they will be more likely to invite you for an interview.
- Do not simply rehash your resume. Instead you should focus on showing why the skills and experience you have would be a fit for the role in question. It makes sense to address each requirement in turn, doing so shows the hiring manager that you understand the role clearly and could be a great fit for the position.
- Do your research on the company and demonstrate this in your cover letter to ensure you make a good first impression. Don’t take it as a given. Highlight what you know, but don’t be brash about it.
- Don’t forget that you will need two documents — a resume and cover letter — for a successful job application in Canada. Keep your resume brief and then craft a cover letter to provide more nuance to the key skills and attributes that you will bring to the role if hired. In brief, make sure that you “tick all the boxes” that are outlined in the job description.
- Our comprehensive resume guide should help you with the accompanying resume, which is also crucial to landing an interview and ultimately your dream job in Canada.