Skip to content


Thanks to Kate Santacaterina for preparing this useful information for those interested in working in childcare jobs in Canada.

Note: This Article is written for Vancouver, British Columbia, but the advice is applicable to all provinces in Canada.

Early Childhood Educator (ECE)/Assistant

To become an early childhood educator or early childhood educator assistant you need to register with the ministry of children and families. They require applicants to have a BC registered ECE (or equivalent from another Canadian province) to vouch for you having 500 hours ‘work experience’ with preschool-aged children, and may ask for an ICES (International Credential Evaluation Service) report in order to convert qualifications from other countries. If you’ve found a good centre that really wants to put the time into taking you on full-time they might help pay for some of this, though it’s not common.

Another helpful organization is ECEBC: They are good at answering questions and supporting ECEs, though they cannot help you with any Ministry-related problems. There is a Job Board on this site for ECE-related work.
A quick place to find a list of all of the day cares in your area is by contacting the west coast child care resource centre:


If you are looking for work as a child minder or nanny then the two websites below should help you find a family:

Read more: Nanny jobs in Canada

Citation "Childcare Jobs in Canada." Moving2Canada. . Copy for Citation