Quebec has unveiled plans to introduce three new immigration pilot programs, each targeting workers in specific occupations. Intended to launch in January, 2021, the three programs will target orderlies, workers in the artificial intelligence, information technologies and visual effects sectors, and food processing workers.
These three immigration programs will target workers Quebec has identified to be crucial to its labour force. Each of the three programs will have an annual quota of 550 applicants, not counting accompanying family members. Successful applicants, along with their accompanying family members, will be able to obtain Canadian permanent resident status.
The proposed programs are technically still draft regulations and haven’t been confirmed, although in recent years these types of programs usually move through this phase without much issue. The programs indicate an expiration date of January 1, 2026, indicating that the pilot programs will run for approximately five years.
Here’s what we know about each of the programs:
Quebec’s permanent immigration pilot program for orderlies
This pilot program will target people residing in Quebec who are currently working as orderlies, nurses aides, and patient service associates (NOC 3413). Applicants must prove intermediate oral knowledge of the French language. In addition, this program will have two streams:
1. Work stream — To be eligible through the work stream, the applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Education: Hold a diploma related to their field of work in NOC 3413 which is deemed to be equivalent to a Quebec vocational diploma or higher.
- Work experience: Have at least 24 months of full-time work experience in NOC 3413 gained in the 36 months prior to applying. At least 12 months of this work experience must have been gained in Quebec.
2. Studies-work stream — To be eligible through the studies-work stream, the applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Education: Hold a Quebec vocational diploma related to the field of work in NOC 3413 which has been obtained in the two years prior to applying.
- Work experience: Have at least 12 months of work experience in NOC 3413 gained in Quebec after the completion of the above-mentioned diploma.