Skip to content
Rate article
1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars
5.00/5 - 4 votes
Share article

Ontario has just announced how it plans to distribute its coveted Provincial Attestation Letters, with 96% of allocation going to students enrolled in public colleges and universities and ‘careers colleges’ being left high and dry with no allocation.

In January 2024, Minister Miller imposed a cap on the number of study permits Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)  will process, with the goal to reduce the number of approved study permit applications in 2024 and 2025.

In rolling out this cap, each province and territory has been allocated a portion of the cap, determined on population size, in an effort to better distribute international students across Canada. Ontario, which boasts the highest numbers of international students in Canada, will be forced to cut its intake by around 50%. 

In response to this, the Ontario government has confirmed how it intends to distribute its cap amongst the demands of Ontario based educational institutions. 

Key takeaways: 

  • Since January 2024, study permit applicants must have received a Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL) to receive a study permit in Canada. A PAL is proof that there is room in the provincial cap for that student.
  • 96% of Ontario’s annual cap will go to international students intending to study at public colleges and universities.
  • Ontario institutions international student count cannot exceed a ratio of 55% of the institution’s 2023 1st-year domestic enrolment. 
  • Within public colleges and universities, priority will be given to those with high-demand programs like skilled trades, childcare, STEM, hospitality and human resources and French language enrolment. 
  • The remaining 4% of PALs will be distributed across language schools, private universities and unspecified “other institutions”.
  • Career colleges (private post-secondary institutions that provide career-specific, outcome-based programs) will not receive any cap allocation.  

Watch our video


Why is Ontario focusing on public universities and colleges?

This move is designed to protect the integrity of the province’s postsecondary education system, whilst ensuring international students are enrolled in programs to meet Ontario’s labour market needs, as confirmed by Ontario Minister of Colleges and Universities, Jill Dunlop.

What does this mean for those hoping to study in Ontario?

If you intend to study in Canada as an international student, then consider applying to only public colleges and universities to increase your chances of receiving a PAL. 

If you are set on studying at a language school or private university, consider a province other than Ontario to increase your chances of receiving a PAL and subsequent study permit. 

If worrying about receiving a PAL is too much, consider applying to Masters and Doctoral level studies which are currently exempt from the need to provide a PAL.

How do Ontario bound international students get a PAL? 

Ontario hasn’t formally shared any information about receiving a Provincial Attestation Letter and has until March 31st 2024 to develop a system to handle these requests. For now, those who need a PAL should contact the admissions office of their postsecondary institution. 

Will these changes impact international students currently studying in Ontario?

No, if you have already received your study permit and are enrolled in a postsecondary institute in Ontario, this latest update will not impact your ability to continue your studies in Ontario.

Interested in studying in Canada? Sign up for a Moving2Canada account for free step-by step guidance on how you can study in Canada. 

About the author

Rebecca Major profile picture
RCIC logo

Rebecca Major

Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
Rebecca Major is a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (R511564) with nearly 15 years of licenced Canadian Immigration experience, gained after graduating with a Bachelor of Laws in the UK. She specializes in Canadian immigration at Moving2Canada.
Read more about Rebecca Major
Citation "Ontario Confirms Who Gets Provincial Attestation Letters." Moving2Canada. . Copy for Citation


  • Canada Abroad team

    Canada Abroad

    Canada Abroad is a transparent Canadian immigration consultancy with advice you can trust. Led by Deanne Acres-Lans (RCIC #508363), the team delivers professional, regulated, and efficient service.

  • The Doherty Fultz Immigration team staff members

    Doherty Fultz Immigration

    Led by Anthony Doherty (RCIC #510956) and Cassandra Fultz (#514356), the Doherty Fultz team uses their 40+ years of experience to empower you towards settling in Canada.

  • Perez McKenzie Immigration

    Led by Jenny Perez (RCIC #423103), Perez McKenzie Immigration is a Canadian immigration consultancy based in British Columbia, with offices in Vancouver and Whistler.

Our Partners

Get your immigration questions answered by an expert

Speak with a regulated Canadian immigration consultant to help plan your immigration. Moving2Canada is happy to recommend a handful of exceptional consultants.
  • Smiling young woman at a laptop

    Find the best immigration program for you

    Take our free immigration quiz and we'll tell you the best immigration programs for you!

  • Chef at restaurant spooning vegetables

    Get matched to job opportunities

    Get matched to job opportunities from Canadian employers who are seeking to hire people with your skills.

  • Access our immigration roadmaps

    Our immigration roadmaps will teach you the basics of Express Entry, study permits, and more! Take control of your own immigration process.


Unlock exclusive resources with a free account.

Create a Moving2Canada account to get the resources you need, tailored to your profile. Get matched with the best immigration programs & job offers, and access exclusive events & resources.