Arranging an international money transfer can be an expensive process, with banks in both countries adding their own charges and typically offering poor exchange rates.
It’s a good idea, therefore, to look around at the different options available to you before you make the transfer. There are reputable third parties who can make an international money transfer easier and cheaper for you.
Using peer-to-peer technology, and without any hidden charges, TransferWise makes international money transfers to Canada up to eight times cheaper than using a bank.
- TransferWise is offering the first transfer for free up to £3,000 (or equivalent) for Moving2Canada customers so you get to sample their service with zero transaction costs. This offer is available to first-time TransferWise customers who come from Moving2Canada.
- Transfers to Canada have a 0.45% fee, and your money typically arrives in 1-2 working days. For transfers from GBP to CAD, the fee is 80p + 0.45%.
- Find the latest rates at the widget above, and find out how much you can save.
- Customers trust TransferWise. It has received an average 9.5/10 rating from 30,000 independent reviews on Trustpilot.
- TransferWise is safe, and fully authorized by the UK’s Financial Conduct Authority and is subject to European customer protection rules.
CurrencyFair is another cheap and easy way to arrange an international money transfer to Canada from your local bank.
- CurrencyFair is offering the first five transfers for free for Moving2Canada customers so you get to sample their service with zero transaction costs. Hurrah!
- Their homepage has a live Canadian currency exchange calculator where you can find the latest rates.
- CAD transfers into Canada’s major banks (see full list) no longer incur receiving bank charges. To avoid delays, complete transfers before 11:30AM (UK time) to ensure same-day transfers.
- For transferring money to Canada from other locations, there is a flat fee of $4 per transfer.
- For transferring funds from Canada to other locations, there may be a domestic wire fee applied by your bank.
- CurrencyFair is safe and is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland.
Have questions, or want to learn more? Read our free guide to sending money abroad with CurrencyFair.
Other international money transfer options
The next best alternative is an international money transfer to Canada through your bank but the rates provided are often much weaker. Western Union and Paypal are by far the most expensive.
PayPal is an efficient means for an international money transfer, but they charge a similar spread to the banks.
For international money transfers to Canada, set up two Paypal accounts — one to your domestic bank and one to your Canadian bank. Then you can transfer money from Canada, and between them then for free; you just need to have two email accounts.
While this is a relatively simple process, be sure to check the rates you’re being charged. You may save yourself a significant sum by going with one of the other international money transfer companies listed above.