Skip to content
Rate article
1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars
5.00/5 - 2 votes
Share article

Canada is expanding the Recognized Employer Pilot (REP), which simplifies the process of hiring foreign workers.

The REP allows eligible Canadian employers to cut through some of the red tape associated with the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFW). It allows employers, with a history of program compliance, to gain access to Labour Market Impact Assessments (LMIAs) that are valid for up to 36 months and a simplified LMIA application, should they need to hire additional workers from the same occupation during the duration of the pilot—which will be three years.

As of January 2024, Canada has added 84 new occupations to the REP:

REP Eligible Occupations Phase II

REP Occupations Phase I

To be eligible, employers need to have secured at least three positive Labour Market Impact Assessments (LMIAs) for the same occupation over the past five years.

The pilot was originally unveiled by Canada’s minister of employment, Randy Boissonnault, on August 8, 2023. It comes in response to the challenges many Canadian employers are encountering in filling essential job positions.


“The Recognized Employer Pilot will cut red tape for eligible employers—those who demonstrate the highest level of protection for workers—and make it easier for them to access the labor they need to fill jobs that are essential to Canada’s economy and food security,” Minister Boissonnault stated in the August media release.

The REP was originally rolled out in two stages:

  • Stage one beginning in September 2023, allowing employers in the Primary Agriculture stream to apply in time for the 2024 season.
  • Stage two beginning in January 2024 and opens intake to all other industry sectors.

Applications for both streams have been open since September 2024.

How to know if an employer qualifies for REP

Employers who are eligible for the REP will have a Job Bank designation that shows their recognized status to prospective workers.

The Canadian government’s website, Job Bank, allows you to search for jobs from Canadian employers who want to recruit temporary foreign workers. These Canadian employers have already received or applied for an LMIA. The website is currently posting more than 10,000 jobs open for foreigners who want to work in Canada.

You may also find jobs right here on the Moving2Canada website by using our Job Board.

Can I change jobs as a TFW in Canada?

While you do have the right to change employers, it may be difficult if you have a closed work permit. In that case, you may have to get an open work permit or a new closed work permit with another employer.

Remember: it is illegal for your employer to punish or deport you for looking for another job.

To assist you with the process of changing work permits, you may wish to hire a trusted immigration professional. Check out our list of recommended consultants.

How Canadian work experience can support immigration

Canadian work experience can open you up to a number of permanent residency programs, such as those under the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP).

In addition, work experience in an eligible skilled occupation in Canada can increase your chances of immigrating through the Express Entry system, specifically through the Canadian Experience Class.

If you’re interested in moving to Canada but not sure which program you may be eligible for, check your eligibility for more than 20 different Canadian immigration programs by taking Moving2Canada’s free Canada Immigration Quiz.

Want to be the first to find out about the latest Canadian immigration news? Create a free Moving2Canada account and sign up for our newsletter!

About the author

Shelby Thevenot

Shelby Thevenot

Canadian Immigration Writer
Shelby is a journalist, freelance writer, and expert news analyst with more than five years of experience in writing about Canadian immigration.
Read more about Shelby Thevenot
Citation "Canada expands Recognized Employer Pilot." Moving2Canada. . Copy for Citation


  • Canada Abroad team

    Canada Abroad

    Canada Abroad is a transparent Canadian immigration consultancy with advice you can trust. Led by Deanne Acres-Lans (RCIC #508363), the team delivers professional, regulated, and efficient service.

  • The Doherty Fultz Immigration team staff members

    Doherty Fultz Immigration

    Led by Anthony Doherty (RCIC #510956) and Cassandra Fultz (#514356), the Doherty Fultz team uses their 40+ years of experience to empower you towards settling in Canada.

  • Perez McKenzie team 6

    Perez McKenzie Immigration

    Led by Jenny Perez (RCIC #423103), Perez McKenzie Immigration is a Canadian immigration consultancy based in British Columbia, with offices in Vancouver and Whistler.

Our Partners

Get your immigration questions answered by an expert

Speak with a regulated Canadian immigration consultant to help plan your immigration. Moving2Canada is happy to recommend a handful of exceptional consultants.
  • Smiling young woman at a laptop

    Find the best immigration program for you

    Take our free immigration quiz and we'll tell you the best immigration programs for you!

  • Chef at restaurant spooning vegetables

    Get matched to job opportunities

    Get matched to job opportunities from Canadian employers who are seeking to hire people with your skills.

  • Access our immigration roadmaps

    Our immigration roadmaps will teach you the basics of Express Entry, study permits, and more! Take control of your own immigration process.


Unlock exclusive resources with a free account.

Create a Moving2Canada account to get the resources you need, tailored to your profile. Get matched with the best immigration programs & job offers, and access exclusive events & resources.